Friday, February 11, 2011

I Make Milk... What's Your Super Power?

Look over there! It's a bird, it's a plane... it's the Human Pacifier!

There were two really important things to me once I found out I was pregnant, going natural and breastfeeding. Not to toot my own horn or anything (okay maybe a little because I'm damn proud,) but I accomplished both. However, somewhere and somehow someone forgot to tell me babies don't just nurse for food, they nurse for comfort as well. So I was caught thoroughly surprised when my son would stay latched onto my boob for what seemed like 20 out of the 24 hours day (okay maybe a slight exaggeration, but not much!)   Those first few months I spent glued to the couch with a boppy in my lap switching from left to right and right to left all damn day long. He would nurse to sleep, I would pull my ever so sore boob out of his mouth and BAM the kid was wide awake ready to scream bloody murder if I did not put it back it. And if by some miracle he did not wake up, the second I laid him down same thing happened (see previous post.) Alas, I became the Incredible, the Amazing, The Human Pacifier! Ta Da! Now I just need a cape! (In the words of Edna Mode: "No Capes!" Good movie.)

So I got myself a boob man, not a big surprise considering who his daddy is (love you honey!) Tristan has let up quite a bit over the last two months, and even more in the last week as we have been working on alternative ways to get him to sleep. So that a much tired mommy can get a little more sleep while daddy can rock him when he wakes in the middle of the night. He has made a lot of progress.

No one can even describe to you the amazing, joyous feeling of breastfeeding. The bonding with your baby is just the beginning. How amazing is it to know that you are producing a life sub staining substance for the tiny human being that without it would die? It's nothing short of a miracle. Since about month three, when Tristan nurses he stares up at me, looking into my eyes and examining my face. It brings tears to my eyes some times. In the last few weeks he wants to reach up and touch my face, to feel everything with his tiny little hands. It's even more precious when he smiles while still half nursing and a little giggle escapes his lips. Just melts your heart.

There are three reasons for breast-feeding:  the milk is always at the right temperature; it comes in attractive containers; and the cat can't get it.  ~Irena Chalmers

No comments:

Post a Comment