Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Do You Want Another?

It seems to be after nine months of carrying your precious little human being, the second you pop him or her out you get the ever so nosey "Do you want another?" Okay, so I am guilty of asking this as well but when did it become such a societal norm? I have not even had the chance to get to know my little bundle of joy here in my arms before your asking me to create another.

I've wanted children for like EVER. Since I can remember. I always wanted to be a mommy, I always wanted a big family. I come from a small family where I only have one brother who is 7 years younger than me. So basically, I am an only children. I wanted that huge family closeness I never had. I wanted my very own 7th Heaven

So flash forward to when we decided to "stop preventing." (I never did like the term "try" because unless I am charting or doing invetro I dont see it as trying.) It took two weeks from the time we decided to stop preventing to when I actually got pregnant. WOW. Okay, not expected. In fact, I didnt expect to get pregnant for two or three months. Between being on birth control forever, and my tilted uterus I really did not expect it all. SUPER EXCITING RIGHT! It was very exciting, and we were very blessed.

So yes getting pregnant was easy. If I had to base my decision of having another baby solely on how hard it was to get pregnant, I would say sign me up for another baby right now! Oh but then there was a little thing called delivering a 9 pound 6 ounce baby. Ladies and gentlemen, I make big babies. It was no secret. The ultrasound tech told us at my 20 week appointment that this baby was going to be over 8 pounds. Great! My thoughts at the time "I can handle eight pounds, it's only slightly over average." Oh, but then I started going weekly to my midwives. The first time she felt my belly she insisted on telling me how big my baby was. One of my last few appointments she told me that for the sure the baby will be about 8.5-9 pounds. I remember thinking "It's okay, as long as we do not go over 9 pounds." For some odd reason I had to see a different midwife one day, she felt around my stomach and proceeded to say "My your having a big baby!" Wow, thanks, how many times do people need to tell me how big my baby is going to be! Yes, let's just scare the first time mother to death. Well, turns out they were all right plus some.

Delivery and recovery aside, I get the baby that is "high needs," high maintenance," "spirited." Whatever you want to call it, he is a challenge. See Understanding Tristan post. It a nut shell, he nurses all the time, can not be put down, and for heavens sake HE DOES NOT SLEEP! Fabulous.

So sadly, my dreams of having a large family have come crashing down with multiple tears and stitches and a difficult baby. So please next time you want to ask me if I want another baby, ask me about my experience with this one first.  

No comments:

Post a Comment