Monday, January 30, 2012

Oh So Many New Things

I think this time has by far been one of my favorites. Tristan is learning so much in such a short amount of time that I can hardly keep up. Some things come as a complete shock for me, others I am very happy he picked up on (not that I am not happy about all the others.) Here are some cool new things Tristan is doing lately:


Words: There are MANY MANY words he says now and I am probably forgetting a lot of them. 


Dada
Mama/Mom
Dog
Duck
Apple
Hot
Up
Pup
Cow 

Giraffe (or affe really)
Purple
Circle
Truck
Milk
Cracker
Wazzzat (What's That)
On (Balloon)
Ice
Light
Off
Cat


Shapes:


I have working on shapes with him since he loves to play with his shape sorter. The only one he can really say is circle, but boy does he understand it! The other day in Walmart we are just walking around and he is babbling circle. After awhile I look down at him and not only is he saying circle but also tracing one in the air with his finger! He will also draw one if given a pen or crayon. It blew me out of the water. Our next shape is square, hopefully he catches on just as quickly. 


Whats That: 


Since he was oh I don't know 7 months old or so we would ask him "What's That" and point to things and then tell him what the word is. We mostly did it with ducks which of course came to be one of his very first words. I guess it would only be a matter of time before he started to point to things and ask us "Whats That." It usually comes out more like Wazzat and it took us awhile to understand what he was saying. But now he goes around everywhere asking. The kid is a sponge. 


Up:


I was really really getting tired of the whining and crying when he wanted us to pick him up. So one day I decided to say do you want up? He quickly learned the word up. So now when he starts whining or crying that he wants up we ask him "What do you want, use your words" and he will say up. Ok, cool, that really cut down on his crying but then one day as he was climbing up the stairs he said up and pointed. I was like wow, does he understand the concept of up? Flash forward a few nights later after his bath he climbed up the rocking chair in his room and said up. He climbed back down and then climbed back up and said up. It was then I realized he actually understood the concept of up, and that it just wasn't a word to use when he wanted in our arms. 


I guess my little baby isn't such a baby anymore. He is a living, breathing, and LEARNING toddler. Learning faster than the speed of light, absorbing everything! I just hope that I don't let him down and that I can nurture his yearning for knowledge in a way that keeps him interested in learning for the rest of his life.   

No comments:

Post a Comment