Monday, January 9, 2012

No Wonder America Is Overweight

Tomorrow marks the 1st week of my no sugar goal on my Body By Vi 90 Day Challenge and let me tell you how hard it is! Do you realize what all has sugar in it? I mean added sugar, like the white processed stuff. You know Mary Poppins and the "spoonful of sugar" thing. Yea that sugar.

You have to learn to read the labels, and not just the nutrition panel but the ENTIRE label...meaning the ingredients. You can look at the nutrition panel and see 41g of sugar, (think of that in Mary Poppins terms and you have 41 teaspoons of sugar. Can you eat 41 teaspoons of sugar alone? I can't either, so why drink/eat it?) which is a lot of sugar, but you HAVE to read the ingredients too. If there is no added word SUGAR in the ingredients (like in 100% Apple Juice) then what you are eating/drinking is natural sugar just like that found in fruit. I just can not believe all the things that have added sugar in them that really do not need sugar. Things like:

Peanut Butter
Garlic Bread
ANY Bread (including whole wheat ones)
Marinara Sauce
Tortillas
Soup
Oatmeal
PLAIN Cherrios
Ketchup
Ranch (most salad dressings)

Needless to say I was shocked. Do we really need to add sugar to most of these things? I can't imagine hundreds of years ago sugar was readily available for our ancestors to put it into bread, peanut butter, oatmeal, and marinara sauce. So I really do not think that all of that needs sugar now! But sugar is a drug and if they can just hide the smallest amounts in their product it will keep you coming back for more because sugar  is a DRUG!

Which leads me to my horrible withdrawal symptoms from "going off sugar." It included horrible headaches, grumpiness, mood swings, temp swings including sweating, and bad cravings. My poor husband, I was a bitch. I am feeling much better now. I feel level, no ups and downs like you get with sugar. My cravings are not near what they used to be. But it sure was hell getting here...won't lie.

However, the most fantastic thing of this whole thing is that I have broken my weight plateau and will (hopefully) never see the 190's again! I was stuck at the 188-191 range and I happy to announce that this morning I was 186! I will post measurements and stats and all that jazz later but I just had to share the excitement!

So if you are even the slightest bit thinking about cutting out sugar I highly recommend it. Yes it is going to be hard (and so is having a baby and women do that daily) but it is so worth it in the end. You will also realize how disgusting it is that sugar is in pretty much everything you eat. And if you need support, well I can be a great cheerleader and so are all the people that have taken the Body Bi Vi Challenge, because without them I would not be 15 pounds less!

http://brittnie.bodybyvi.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment