Thursday, August 11, 2011

Inner Soccer Mom

My dad celebrated his 50th birthday this past Friday (Happy Birthday daddy!) As my present to him we went to Invesco Field and watched the Denver Broncos practice. It was hot, I got sunburned, and we sat and waited for a long time. In this waiting I was able to observe the people around me and noted that most of them were families. Little boys in team jerseys chatting away about their favorite players, jumping up and down in their seats anxiously waiting to see their favorite football heroes. Moms were forcing water in their mouths and trying to get them to sit down, dads just watched with glimmers of pride in their eyes. All of a sudden I got this feeling of "I want that someday."

I never saw myself as a soccer mom. I hate sports. I hate being outside. I hate all the rules and regulations, I just don't understand it. But there was something so innocent, so magical, so fun about seeing football through these kids eyes. It wasn't about the beer, the competition, or who wins and loses. I've never seen that side of sports before, but then again why would I before having my own child.

So maybe someday I will be a soccer mom, of course only if Tristan wants to play soccer. However, I will be more than perfectly content if he wants to stay indoors and be a World of Warcraft fanatic too.

No comments:

Post a Comment