Monday, June 13, 2011

So Guess What?!

I'M NOT CRAZY! At least Tristan's new pediatrician doesn't think so. As a mother of two high needs babies herself, I have finally found someone who UNDERSTANDS! Understands Tristan and understands my hardships as a mother of a high needs baby. She informed me that despite what a lot of other people (which she said most likely included her colleagues) think, I did nothing wrong raising my son and that he is just wired differently than most babies. That no amount of sleep training, pick up/put down, crying it out, Ferber, or scheduling would adhere to my son and change his ways. She told me that unless someone has a high needs baby or has had one that they will never understand what it takes. He is who is and I can not change that. That's the good news.

The bad news is that I am in for a lot of sleepless nights. The doctor said she still wakes up with her 2 year old. She suggests getting a lovie for him. Trying to move his comfort in us to comfort in his lovie. Hey, it's worth a shot! Now I just need to find a lovie.

The doctor also had a few other suggestions besides the lovie. She said that while high needs babies do not do schedules when they are under about ten month, they crave schedules now. So it looks like in the next few weeks we will be working on that. She has said to really introduce sign language. High needs babies have very strong emotions and their lack of mobility and communication really frustrates them and comes off as a fussy baby. Giving them the tools to express that will make everyone in the home much happier. 

So I feel like I have finally hit Dawn in my journey with Tristan.Things are getting easier, and I am finding a good support system. It will only gets brighter from here :)

No comments:

Post a Comment