Thursday, March 10, 2011

Doctors How I Loathe Thee

DISCLAIMER: Doctors go to school for a very long time and work hard to obtain their degrees and get into the medical field. I am not saying ALL doctors are this way, just in my experience.

I have never been one to see a doctor annually. I spent a lot of my life with out health insurance, so I only saw a doctor when absolutely necessary. So when I go pregnant I was at a loss as to what to do. I saw a regular doctor who was a BITCH! Okay, maybe not horribly a bitch, just not my style. She was more concerned with the science of my pregnancy than anything else. She started our visit off by naming all the different kinds of diseases and stuff that I needed to be tested for and that the baby could have. WOAH! Too much for a first time mom. So after asking who my then 6 months pregnant sister in law who she saw, she recommended her midwives. What an awesome idea I thought. I love the idea of a midwife. So I started visiting her midwives clinic. However, it was far from my house and the hospital I would deliver at was really far too. At one of the Kreutzer's big family events I spoke with one of Bryan's cousins about a midwife clinic at North Suburban, MUCH CLOSER to our house. To make a long story short, I absolutely LOVED the ladies at this clinic.   

So why did I chose a midwife over a doctor? I was very sure about what I wanted my labor and delivery experience to be like. I know what I wanted, how I wanted to do it and what to expect. A lot of these things would not have been accepted by a typical doctor. Of course I wanted to go all natural, and I DID NOT want anyone offering me drugs (nurses like to slip that in, so midwives tend to keep them in check.) The nurses automatically brought supplies in my birthing room for drugs, like automatically without even asking me. My midwife had to tell them no. At least give me a chance first, damn. I also did not want any sort of IV. Yes, I had to sign a hospital waiver for this, but I doubt a doctor would even given me the option. Women have been having babies for millions of years, WITHOUT drugs and IV's. If something were to go wrong, you can poke me then. I wanted to wear my own clothes, no hospital gown for me. This is going to be the most pain I've ever experienced, and you want me to be uncomfortable too? Last, I wanted the option that I could eat. No stupid ice chips or popsicles. If I wanted a damn granola bar then I am going to eat a damn granola bar. The midwives were okay with this, but they said to hide it because the hospital would throw a fit.

The biggest difference between midwives and doctors is the amount of intervention. I wanted as little intervention as possible. Hey, really I wanted a home birth but Bryan was not okay with that. I trusted my body to do what it needed to do. Doctors are always in such a rush, get in and get out seems to be their motto. If you two days late they start talking induction. Really? You can go up to two weeks, and there are many natural ways of trying to induce labor. My midwife I discussed those before even any mention of induction. It's a horrible vicious cycle once you start that pitocin. The pitocin starts the labor but makes it more intense, so then you need an epidural but the epidural slows down your labor so then you need more pitocin. Catch my drift? So after hours of playing this little game, your not progressing and BAM your on an operating table having a c-section. I will never see a doctor for my pregnancies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment